Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Results Are In!!!

Well, I was pretty disappointed when I got home today and went to the mailbox to find that we did not have our DNA results in the mail.  I texted Gary to let him know, but at the same time I was checking online with our DNA lab to see if we could learn the results online or via telephone.  I learned that the results were available by telephone or by chat 22 hours a day.  Gary and I decided that we wanted to find out tonight.

So, once we got the kids in bed, we sat down to call in and get our results.  We tried 3 times.  The phone rang and rang, and we were getting so antsy.  Finally I turned on my computer and opened up a chat.  And after giving them some information and our password, we learned the results. . . .

Piper and Rosemary are indeed IDENTICAL TWINS!! 

The accuracy rate is over 99.9%.  I can’t believe it.  I mean, I can, because clearly we got the test because we thought there was a good chance they were identical, but it’s amazing to actually know. . . . 

Now I have all sorts of thoughts – one of which is that we can truly see the effects of IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction) in an interesting way.  Rosemary was IUGR due to her velamentous cord insertion, but Piper was right at the 50th percentile for weight at her gestation.  We also know that Piper and Rosemary are dichorionic-diamniotic twins (meaning they did not share a placenta or an amniotic sac).  There are just so many interesting things to think about now.  It will probably take some time to sink in. . . .

This is so exciting!!  Thank you for participating in our poll and following along as we pondered this question and finally learned the results. 

7 comments:

Antonia from the UK said...

How fascinating! I thought they were identical but then I do know some fraternal twins who look identical but aren't. I also used to know a pair of identical twins who were completely different weights as children. I think the whole twin thing is amazing. Thanks for sharing your news.

Amanda said...

That IS exciting!!!

Lindsey Wolfe said...

Ooooo fun!! That is awesome! I'm happy you found out the information - I bet you guys were so excited to finally find out.

Meredith Stinson said...

FUN!! I've been dying to know!!

Esther and Brian said...

i knew it, i knew it!!!! :) glad that you have the results, heather...it's great to know, i think, for medical reasons....

the whole "egg splitting" business is so fascinating...and the best thing is that you have four gorgeous, healthy children...

JoLynn said...

So excited you got the news! I can't believe it, but I can. There are a lot of times I have a hard time telling them apart from pictures. It will be interesting to watch them develop with that information now.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

how cool that you found out! And, now they look even more similar to me!